Saturday, August 11, 2007

Food Pantry and Goofy politicians

Saturday was hot and I and few of my Methodist brothers and sisters were right out there in the oppressive heat sweating off a few gallons of water. No, we were not exercising, at least not in that sense of the word. We were giving out food boxes at the Our Daily Bread Food Pantry. The morning began around 10:30 when my husband and I arrived at the parking lot to start checking off the names of the people that were lining up and give the pickup ticket according to how many family’s boxes they are there to get. Bro. John Foster set up his tent for the cool water station while trying to get people lined up neatly. I had a bag of ice draped around my neck and wore a huge hat. It made the heat a bit more tolerable. The good folks from Louis Memorial had the assembly line going and in one hour we had given out 206 boxes. At times it’s a lot like herding cats.

The Food Pantry gives out food once a month to those in need. Pray about it and then come help us in anyway you can. You will sweat in the summer and freeze in the winter but in your heart, you know you are doing the work of the Lord.

Later I ventured out to go listen to some political speeches and to stump for my dear friend Mabel Murphree who is running for Public Service Commissioner of the Northern District on the Republican ticket. I heard some good speeches and some that made me stop and go HUH!? One such speech maker said he doesn’t believe in the ‘Toyota Way’ referring to the coming Toyota Car Plant in Union County. After listening to this candidate I think he is sadly misinformed about what the term ‘Toyota Way’ means as well as not understanding the Japanese culture.

Listening and learning are key principles to Toyota, that and a desire for continuous improvement. The Toyota executives came to North Mississippi and they saw a potential workforce of hardworking people that desire to have an education and good jobs and they saw that our culture and people are not that different from theirs. Toyota saw our potential folks! How long has Mississippi been the front page whipping post for America? How long has Mississippi been ridiculed for being ignorant and backwards? How long have we been laughed at because we talk with a southern drawl and since we talk slow, we must be slow thinkers? Now is our chance to show America and the world that we are not dullards. I am glad that there are visionary people in the PUL Alliance. They worked hard to make this plant happen. I am proud of Gov. Haley Barbour for going to Japan and meeting with Toyota and getting us this plant.

I think I can safely assume that most people haven’t traveled to Japan. I have and I have friends there and when they travel to the US they come to Mississippi. It is a beautiful country and they hold their traditions close to their hearts just as we do. They love their children, just as we do. They have extremely strong family connections and take care of their own, just as we do. They also have one the strongest educational and work ethics of any country I know, probably more so than we do. So, Mr. Candidate, before you go and start bashing the ‘Toyota Way’, read and listen and then make an informed decision. I, for one will be talking to people and I will cast my vote for the candidate that understands what that term means. The polls open at 7 AM on Tuesday August 7th. That’s my 54th birthday and I can think of no better way to celebrate the day than to work at the polls and to cast my vote.

No comments:

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Grace Lady Vonda the Infinite of Longer Interval
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title