Monday, August 29, 2011

January 16, 2011

Que Sera Sera. What ever will be will be. A little snow in Mississippi is an amazing thing for us and we are well aware that we don’t know how to drive in the frozen stuff. Snow in and of itself does not bother me. It’s the slushy stuff that refreezes and the black ice that strikes fear in my driving heart. Therefore I tend to stay off the roads until I hear they are clear.

Last week I stayed in doors that first Monday of the Great January Snowmageddon. I could hear all about the many snow induced accidents being broadcast over the scanner. Cars and pickups were apparently sliding and slipping into ditches and trees and each other on a regular basis. I felt quite safe and snug as a bug inside my little home perched on the hill. I did bundle up and walk down the hill to my mom’s and walked her little dog. It didn’t take him too long to find just the right spot to mark then he was ready to get his little frozen toes back inside.


My own two mutts were burrowed into their igloos. I had stuffed an old king comforter in one and some old lumpy pillows and a blanket in the other. Both of the dogs were in their padded rooms and all I could see was little noses sticking out waiting for me to come fill the food and water bowls. They were not the least bit impressed with the white stuff blanketing their yard.

I was not able to ignore my phone though. The part time work I do was put on hold because number one, the roads were slick and I was not about to get out on them and number two, the stores didn’t open because of the same reason I gave in reason one! I did start out on Tuesday as soon as I knew the roads were okay and that is when the strange weather related accident happened to me!

I had parked the van pointed toward the east and when I opened the door to get out, a strong gust of wind, caught the door and hyper-extended it. It sounded like something had ripped the door off. I got out and looked and everything looked normal until I closed the door. Another loud pop and I saw it was hanging a bit askew and had a wrinkle in it. Uh ohhh!

I had to climb in on the passenger side and drove it to the local body shop and after he got the door open the verdict was not good. The complete door has to be replaced. It seems the gust of wind popped the outer skin loose and the hinges are warped. I really hated to walk into my insurance agents office and lay that story on them because it sounded so bizarre but when I arrived the same thing had happened to one of them so it wasn’t such an oddity after all.

Now the roads are clear, all that is left of Snowmaggedon are the remnants of the snowmen that my daughter built, my husband has taken down the Christmas lights and my van is sitting in the body shop getting fitted for a new door and some work on the front fender and a paint job. So here I sit without a vehicle because of a freak of nature and I am still behind in work. Que Sera Sera

No comments:

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Grace Lady Vonda the Infinite of Longer Interval
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title