Monday, August 29, 2011

January 9 2011 Snowfall



January 9, 2011

I have always been fascinated by the weather. I probably should have studied meteorology in school if I had thought about it, but the call of the artist was much stronger. Plus, years ago when the dinosaurs roamed, females were not exactly encouraged to go into the ‘man’s realm’ in some disciplines.

The weather is constantly amazing me now. We actually had a Christmas Day snow which is a miracle in itself and now as I sit here on Sunday evening, I can still hear the pecking of the sleet mixed with snow that has been transforming the world around me into a true winter wonderland. I am starting to feel a little like I am living in Sarah Palin’s Alaskan tundra.

My husband and I have been patiently waiting for just such an occurrence. We have not attempted to remove any of the 40,000 plus lights outside in the hopes that we would get a good blanket of snow and be able to finally get a pretty photo of our lights all aglow on the new fallen snow. I thought my fingers were going to snap off as I was outside snapping the pictures.

Where are gloves when you want them? There must be a glovezone area like there is a sockzone area where gloves and socks go to hide. We turned this house upside down looking for something to cover our hands to no avail.

My daughter wanted to do some sledding but my sleds mysteriously disappeared a couple of years ago. But she showed some creativity and blew up an air mattress and that served her well until it popped.

It has always been a source of amusement to me what people what when snow is predicted. They rush to the store and get milk, bread and eggs. Someone on Facebook said that everyone has to get up and we must all eat French toast for breakfast. Ahhhhh, now it makes sense. Except I always want to make a loaf of bread, a peach cobbler and a huge crock pot of stew or soup.

What is my idea of a snow day? Well, I am going to brew a huge cup of ‘butter toffee’ flavored coffee, cut a big slice of warm banana bread and slap a pat of butter on it, sit in my reading chair wrapped snuggly in my soft blanket and read a book and munch on my bread and sip my coffee. I might venture out to see what is going on in the world just outside my door, but rest assured that I will not be driving on any slick streets nor sliding down a hill. I am amazed by the weather but I certainly don’t want to be a statistic and have to see the inside of the ER because I decided to slide down a hill at breakneck speed and bounce my brittle body against the frozen tundra!


No comments:

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Grace Lady Vonda the Infinite of Longer Interval
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title