Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm an owl not a lark!

Early morning and I are like oil and water. WE don't mix. But in the interest of my students I get up. I am such a bear until I have had that first glass of cold water and then my nice hot comforting cup of coffee made in my French Press. I let my dd#2 sleep. Aren't I the good mum?

The other kids that come here for homeschool trickle in through out the morning. The first one gets here at 7:15. He works steady for an hour and a half then has to run out the door and around the house the couple of times. His anti seizure meds seem to do that to him. Then he comes back in, has him a snack and we play a quick game of dominoes to work on his make skills, then its back to work. While I am 'playing' with him, one of the other students hops on his computer and does her lessons. The 3rd student, a 'senior' girl starts working on her lessons at 9 when she comes dragging in. She only lacks about 5 credits to graduate and I am really having a time getting her to finish. She has to be reminded constantly to do her work and to keep up to a schedule. I tried the unschool appraoch with her and she got so far behind that its taken us a year to finish one subject. She hates to read anything that is good for her such as a classic book. I can't even entice her to read LOTRs of a Harry Potter Book. Now if it was a Harlequin Romance or someother such drival, or something about some boy band, she would read it in a heartbeat. She suffers from sever immaturity issues.

I've been teaching other peoples kids for 7 years. At one point I had 17 plus my own 2. Its a challenge because I have to follow a set teaching pattern with the other kids. Most want to do this through the middle school grades and finish up in public highschool. The ones I have left with me now don't want to do that. But they still want 'structure'. I sort of have 'school' at home but its still pretty relaxed. We don't do it every day. Most of the kids do five days of work in 3 days.

I suppose I need to get in the studio and finish what I started yesterday. Its almost clean and organized. I have to sweep and mop now. Why is it that when you start moving things around, you discover that some gremlin has spilled the stickiest substance known to mom on the floors and it has glued things under the furniture or appliances or anything else that might be sitting in the floor? just something to make me go Hmmmmm!

No comments:

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Grace Lady Vonda the Infinite of Longer Interval
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title